Cowtown Cowboy Shooters LLC (CCSA) leases property from the overall owners of the range, Cowtown Range LLC. As part of the lease agreement, by January 1, 2024, we will all be required to have signed the Cowtown Range Waiver. After viewing a short safety video found HERE, click the “…Watched the Video” button and you will be taken to a form which you must fill in to register on the range. After registration, you will be taken to the waiver which you must sign to gain admission to the range.
After January 1, 2024, each time you wish to enter the range, you will be required to show your Cowtown Cowboy Shooters Membership card (provided by Barbwire) and a valid form of identification. You must also be registered in the Cowtown Range database and must have a current, signed Cowtown Range waiver on file. You must execute this waiver once a year.
If you are a foreign national shooting at Cowtown, additional requirements are found HERE.
Guests who wish to shoot at Cowtown must be accompanied by a registered member and must register at the gate and sign the Cowtown Range waiver.
All Cowboy Shooters must familiarize yourselves with the following Safety Regulations and Procedures.
Cowtown Shooters, LLC – Safety regulations and procedures (REVISED 2023)
- Safety first. All guns are considered loaded and must be checked before entering the range.
- Range is a cold range and all weapons inside fenced area will be empty. Loading and unloading will be at designated firing line only.
- All muzzles will be pointed down range and never break the 170 rule.
- Keep finger off the trigger until ready to fire.
- Treat all firearms with respect.
- Any round over the berm (mountain) will be classified as improper gun handling and shooter will be disqualified from event and asked to put guns away. Any belligerent attitudes will not be tolerated.
- Eye protection is mandatory for all shooters and spectators.
- Ear protection is mandatory for all shooters and spectators.
- All shooters, members and guests are required to sign Cowtown Shooters, LLC and Cowtown Range, LLC liability waivers.
- All Single Action Shooting Society (SASS) rules apply to all shooters. Please familiarize yourself by going to the SASS website and reading the shooter’s handbook.
- All members and guests will be asked to show proper ID and sign their waiver when entering the property. Please familiarize yourself with the Cowtown Range, LLC operations manual found on their website: www.cowtownrange.com
- All shooters will display Good Sportsmanship at all times. No interpersonal conflicts will be tolerated. Any shooter, guest, or match official using foul language and is disrespectful, offensive, rude or belligerent or threatening will be disqualified from the event and at the discretion of the match director may be required to leave the property.
- All Cowtown Shooters, LLC members are to respect the property and police their trash. This includes fired brass, unfired ammo that was extracted from guns. Shotgun hulls are not to be left on the stage fronts or thrown out onto the range.
- No alcohol or drugs allowed on the range. An impaired shooter will be asked to leave the property.
- Target distances are to be at a minimum of 5 to 7 yards for pistol, 7 plus yards for rifle and shotgun.
- Ammo for steel targets is to be lead only. No Jacketed ammo used on steel targets.
- Only SASS approved/permitted guns are allowed, to include, .22 cal and .45 cal semi auto pistols, shotguns using 7-10 bird-shot only, and pistol caliber lever action rifles. Factory 9mm or .45 cal semi auto ammo is allowed on paper targets only and not during practice or competition. No AR rifles allowed on the cowboy range due to close rocky backdrop.
- Cowtown Shooters, LLC members in good standing may use the Cowboy range for practice, test firing of weapons and testing of reloaded ammo at any time the main range is open except during a match. Membership list will be provided to Cowtown Range, LLC.
- All shooters are considered Safety Officers and are to report any infractions or issues.
- Any visiting guest must be accompanied by a Cowtown Shooters, LLC member in good standing. Spectators are welcome to come and observe competitions and are required to wear eye and ear protection.
- Cowtown Range, LLC members do not have to have a SASS number to compete at monthly matches unless it is State or above.
POWER FACTORS AND VELOCITIES FOR AMMO – SASS REQUIREMENTS FOR COWBOY SHOOTING:
- MAXIMUM VELOCITY FOR PISTOL ROUNDS: 1000 FPS
- MAXIMUM FOR RIFLE ROUNDS: 1400 FPS
- MINIMUM POWER FACTOR FOR ALL SASS COWBOY AMMO IS NO LESS THAN 400 FPS AND A 60 POWER FACTOR
- NOTE: MOST COWBOY AMMO HAS A MUZZLE VELOCITY OF 600 TO 800 FPS FOR RIFLES AND PISTOLS
- WILD BUNCH .45 Cal ACP AND .40 CAL & .45CAL RIFLE (PISTOL CALIBER) MIN POWER FACTOR IS 150. TYPICAL AVERAGE RELOAD is 160 POWER FACTOR.
- FOR KIDS USING 22 Cal FIREARMS, MUST USE STANDARD VELOCITY OR TARGET AMMO ONLY WHICH IS LESS FPS THAN REGULAR AMMO.
Hours of Operation
May through September hours for matches: Registration is at 7 am, Competition begins 8 am
October through April:hours for matches: Registration begins at 8 am, Competitions to start at 9 am